Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Truth" (with a capital "T"!) v provisional theology

I am finding that the mental pocket knife of my last post ("Theology is to the Bible as [Geological] Science is to Rocks"; or, "Theology is to [Geological] Science as the Bible is to Rocks") -- that mental pocket knife has more usefulness than I might have imagined.

A division in (Christian) homeschool circles that has been slowly making its presence felt now seems to be ready for showtime.

And let me state, before I say anything else, I find this division extremely sad. I am concerned that the Christian homeschool marketplace--the marketplace of ideas--is about to be riven in the same way (again, very sadly) as the American culture as a whole seems to be being riven.

No longer will people be willing to speak with or to one another. Now we are about to begin to see shouting matches.

See Dr. Wile's post (and my response) at Proslogion . . . and, also, a broader discussion at Well-Trained Minds forum.

I conclude my comments to Dr. Wile:
To AiG, everything is either Truth (with a capital T) or error/compromise/bunk. Their way or the highway.

They appear unable to distinguish theology (their man-made interpretation of Scripture) from Scripture itself. Thus, as Mr. Ham quotes with approval from his coworker Dr. Georgia Purdom--”AiG speaker, researcher, and writer”: Dr. Enns, says Purdom--and Ham, by way of approval-- . . . Dr. Enns is a compromiser because, “last point on his last slide is ‘Theology is provisional.’ I think that says it all.”

When one’s theology (i.e., one’s [personal, man-made] interpretation of Scripture is no longer provisional), there really isn’t much room for discussion, is there? We--two or three or four . . . or a thousand--human beings can no longer discuss what we believe we are seeing in God’s Holy Spirit-breathed Word. We are stuck listening to Mr. Ham and only those who agree with him. His view, apparently, is the final view, the only view, the only [supposedly] non-compromised and [supposedly] non-provisional view.

Yow!

--Forbidden questions, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment